Dr. Ryan LabovitchBoard Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Sports Medicine
Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine
Dr. Ryan S. Labovitch is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in sports medicine, arthroscopy, general orthopedics, and fracture care. He understands that every patient has a goal when they visit his office, and he takes great pride in helping you to achieve this goal ultimately improving your quality of life.
This website has been designed to introduce you to his practice and be an interactive tool to assist you in each step of your treatment program. It provides comprehensive information on various orthopedic conditions and treatment techniques including surgical diagrams, animated procedures, and videos. As a patient, Dr. Labovitch will personally evaluate and treat you during each and every visit.
Dr. Labovitch has practiced orthopedic surgery in Newport Beach since 2007, providing quality comprehensive care to patients and the community including many local high school, college, and club athletic teams. He is an active participant and proudly supports many Southern California endurance events. The scope of his practice includes general orthopedic surgery, arthroscopy of the shoulder and knee, sports medicine, and orthopedic trauma.
Dr. Labovitch was born and raised here in Southern California. During his undergraduate years at the University of Arizona, he became interested in orthopedic surgery while volunteering as a student athletic trainer working with NCAA Division 1 college athletes. He attended medical school at the University of Vermont, College of Medicine and completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Labovitch is fellowship-trained in sports medicine at the Aspen Foundation for Sports Medicine, Education, and Research. While in Aspen, he gained valuable experience treating sports related injuries in addition to providing support for local World Cup US Ski Team and Mountain Biking events.
Dr. Labovitch is board certified in Orthopedic Surgery and he is a member in good standing of the Medical Board of California, Medical Staff of Hoag Orthopedic Institute, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Dr. Labovitch is one of the few orthopedic surgeons in the area to obtain a Certificate of added Qualification (CAQ) in Sports Medicine.
DID YOU KNOW
Dr. Labovitch’s practice has been built on an understanding of the motivation, sacrifice, and pain of all athletic endeavors at all ages including ultra-endurance athletes and weekend warriors. Dr. Labovitch continues to be active throughout our athletic community including mountain/road biking, hiking, skiing, and enjoying all the beauty that Southern California has to offer. He also enjoys the extremes of winter exploring the untouched powder of the British Columbia backcountry while ski touring. He continues to race locally and nationally at a variety of cycling events including Leadville 100.
Please enjoy a few of his pictures captured on his recent adventures rotating within this website and on Instagram.
- Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery
- Arthroscopy of the Shoulder and Knee
- Sports Medicine, Sports Performance
- Orthopedic Trauma
- Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Sports Medicine
- SMaRT Health & Wellness - August 2023 - Present
- Kramer Orthopedics – May 2010 - July 2023
- Newport Orthopedic Institute – Oct. 1st, 2007 – April 30th, 2010
FELLOW: Sports Medicine
Aspen Foundation for Sports Medicine, Education and Research Aspen, Colorado
RESIDENT: Orthopaedic Surgery
University of California, San Francisco, CA
INTERNSHIP: General Surgery/Orthopaedic Surgery
University of California, San Francisco, CA
DOCTOR OF MEDICINE
University of Vermont, College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
BACHELOR OR SCIENCE: Exercise Physiology Cum Laude
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 2009 – Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery
- 2018 – Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Sports Medicine
- 2009-present – Diplomate, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- 2001-present – Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2005-2006 - Health Volunteers Overseas
- 2005-2006 - Orthopaedics Overseas
- 2005 – Volunteer Orthopaedic Surgery: Bedford Orthopaedic Hospital; Umtata, South Africa
- McClure Musculoskeletal Research Center, The University of Vermont: Under the direction of Bruce D. Beynnon, PhD: 1998-2001
- University of California, San Francisco: 2001-2006
- Aspen Foundation for Sports Medicine, Education and Research: 2006-2007
- Labovitch RS, Bozic KJ, Hansen E. An evaluation of information available on the internet regarding minimally invasive hip arthroplasty
J Arthroplasty. 2006 Jan;21(1):1-5
- Beynnon BD, Fleming BC, Labovitch R, Parsons B: Chronic anterior cruciate ligament deficiency is associated with increased anterior translation of the tibia during the transition from non-weightbearing to weightbearing. The Journal of Orthopaedic Research 2002;20: 332-337
- Medical Exchange Program: South Africa. Grand Rounds, Aspen Valley Hospital, Aspen Colorado. June, 2007
- The Scapulothoracic Joint: The Anatomy and its Pathomechanics. Grand Rounds, Aspen Valley Hospital, Aspen, Colorado. November 29th, 2006
- An Evaluation of Information Available on the Internet Regarding Minimally Invasive Hip Surgery. LeRoy C. Abbot Society, UCSF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, May 11, 2006
- Physical Inactivity & Obesity “An American Epidemic”. Grand Rounds, University of California, San Francisco Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, January 2005
- An Evaluation of Information Available on the Internet Regarding Minimally Invasive Hip Surgery. AAOS National Meeting, Washington DC, Feb 24th, 2005
- Biomechanics of Functional Knee Bracing in Anterior Cruciate Deficient Subjects:
Research Day, McClure Musculoskeletal Research Center, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont College of Medicine, June 4th, 1999
Refereed Papers Published in Conference Proceedings
- Fleming BC, Beynnon BD, Churchill DL, Brown DG, Labovitch R, Steinbruck K, Webster J, Renstrom PA: The Effect of Weightbearing and Bracing in the ACL-Deficient Knee. Presented at the 4th Congress of the European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology meeting, Brussels, June 3-8,1999
- Beynnon BD, Brown D, Labovitch R, Fleming BC, Churchill DL: The Biomechanics of Functional Knee Braces on the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Deficient Knee. Presented at the International Society of Biomechanics XVII Congress at Calgary, Alberta, Canada, August 8-13,1999
- Beynnon B, Renstrom P, Labovitch R, Brown D: The Biomechanics of Functional Knee Bracing on the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Deficient Knee During Non-Weight-Bearing and Weight-bearing. Presented at the 10th European Congress on Sports Medicine, Innsbruck, Austria, September 22-24, 1999
- Fleming B, Parsons B, Churchill D, Labovitch R, Brown D, Beynnon B: The effect of Weightbearing on Knee Joint Kinematics in the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Deficient Patient. Presented at the 46th Annual Meeting of Orthopaedic Research Society, Orlando, Florida, March 12-15, 2000
Honors and Awards
Intern of the Year: Julius R. Krevans award for clinical excellence, San Francisco General Hospital, Univerisity of California, San Francisco
Alpha Omega Alpha: University of Vermont College of Medicine
Charles & Sylvia Schechtman Prize for Excellence in Clinical Care: University of Vermont College of Medicine
27372 Aliso Creek Rd.
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656